top of page
Dogs in sunglasses.jpg

Travel Tips

If you’re travelling with your pet this summer, here are a few tips that will help things run smoothly.

• Ensure your pet is microchipped and the contact details are up-to-date. Microchipping is FREE with the Healthy Pet Club

• Check that there is secure fencing at your accommodation, as well as access to dog-friendly areas such as beaches and parks.

• If your pet requires a specific diet or medication, take enough for the holiday and a little bit extra, just in case.

• Keep up-to-date with the worm and tick prevention treatments that you’re using. Pets can easily pick these up when interacting with unknown dogs and in unfamiliar places.

• Keep pets amused with toys and little treats on long car journeys.

Motion sickness

If your pet is prone to motion sickness:

• Don’t feed them for four to six hours before travelling.

• Schedule short breaks to allow pets to have a stretch.

• Open a window to ensure fresh air in the car.

• Be mindful of loud music – what’s loud to them is not necessarily loud to us.

• Try to get your pet used to being in a car before the trip. Anxiety is one of the main causes of car sickness in pets. Symptoms include drooling, panting, yawning and trembling. If your pet displays these signs when in the car, allow them to become familiar with their surroundings and spend time with them inside the vehicle while it’s stationary. Once they feel relaxed, take them on short trips before the main journey, rewarding them for calm, relaxed behaviour.

• Make sure your pet is restrained while you’re driving. Cats and small dogs should be in cages, while medium- and large-breed dogs should have a secure harness.

If these suggestions don’t work or your pet is extremely sensitive to motion sickness, effective medication is available from your vet.

Remember – your Healthy Pet Club package includes 10% off all Adaptil and Feliway calming products!

Travelling abroad

The rules for taking your cat or dog abroad are changing regularly.  

If you are considering taking your pet abroad with you, check the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) website .  Currently we do not offer animal health certificates, required to travel outside of the UK

bottom of page